Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 is the year I'll feed the world

2013 promises to be an exciting year full of change for myself and the family. While I'm not expecting a robot or zombie apocalypse, it's still going to be pretty damn cool.

To start with, I began a new job a few weeks ago. While this new gig isn't a huge departure from my prior job, it's a huge step in the right direction and will hopefully enable us to do a number of things which have been on the back burner for far too long due to uncertainty in the area of my own employment. While I was sad to leave my job (I had been there for nearly ten years) I was hugely excited to be facing a new challenge which will, with any luck, propel us to the all-important next level.

Last year began a certain amount of that change which I am looking forward to. Out of almost shear necessity we ventured into the world of farmer's markets. Having both grown up on actual working farms, we have a certain amount of gardening skills in our blood. I was a little unnerved when I sat up my table on that first evening in August but by the time the season wrapped up in late September I was totally digging the farmer's market scene. We tried our hand at our hometown market and a couple other area markets but I like to think that, in a couple short months, we carved out our niche. I met my neighbors, had conversations with some really interesting customers and in that short time became known and recognized for what I was selling.

2013 will only serve to expand on that small farmer's market base we built last year. I've been busily planning what to order so I can plant things at the right time and have a longer season. If all else fails, we're going to be eating a ton of home-grown produce in the upcoming year. If all goes well, we're one step closer to forging a future free of the shackles of a commute and an office. Working the land -- however small the parcel is -- runs in our blood and this venture just makes sense.

2013 will be plenty of work but that's what we do and hopefully we do it well.

No comments: